You CAN make a difference to the struggling readers in your class.
It is never too late to support the struggling readers in your class. The Supporting Struggling Readers Teach Along will give you practical strategies, reliable information and simple tools to help you make a big difference.
Have you ever been asked the question, "What can you do to help my struggling child?" and not known the answer...
Right now in Australia there are thousands of children struggling to learn to read. The reasons for this struggle are many and varied. As a teacher, it can be frustrating and downright heartbreaking to watch children try so hard to improve their reading and then make no or minimal growth. Like you, I became a teacher to make a difference to children’s lives and I want the very best for every student I encounter.
It is likely that you were never taught about the science of reading at university and also likely that your time as a teacher hasn’t helped you understand how to support those students who are the most vulnerable in your class. I want to help equip you with the knowledge, skills and tools to make a difference where it counts the most. But don’t worry. I’m not going to suggest a bunch of unrealistic solutions invented by a person who hasn’t taught a day in a real classroom.
Transform a child's life
When you know how to support and teach a struggling reader, you have the opportunity to profoundly improve their life for the better. Children's futures are too important to be left to chance.
What is a Teach Along?
A Teach Along is a series of online sessions that deliver practical, actionable strategies to you a little bit at a time. We know that professional learning is largely wasted unless you can implement what you have learnt straight away. A Teach Along allows you to do just that.
This Teach Along comes with all of the resources you will need to get a child's reading on track, including assessment and monitoring tools.
What Others Have Said
"Engaging presenter, passionate and genuinely cares about teaching."
"Thank you so much for delivering informative and highly relevant professional learning that can be applied across any school/classroom. I appreciated the 'realness' and practicality of being able to apply was I've learned."
"You were sensational. I really enjoyed this PD and would highly recommend it. It was adaptive to any/most programs and I have taken a lot away. Well done!"
"I liked that the videos and resources were available to watch in your own time."
Be Part of the Team
Not only do you get access to proven, evidence based content, but you will join a team of dedicated teachers who are there to support you every step of the way.
Teach Along Session Topics
The Supporting Struggling Readers Teach Along begins on Tuesday, October 6th, 2020.
Week 1 – Introduction (Live Session)
Week 2 – Causes and impacts of Reading Difficulty, Response to Intervention
Week 3 – Cognitive load and supporting memory (Live Session)
Week 4 – Diagnostic Assessment. Data driven plans.
Week 5 – Implementing intervention – phonemic awareness (Live Session)
Week 6 – Implementing Intervention – phonics and text level reading (Live Session)
What You Will Learn
- Simple view of reading
- Possible causes of reading difficulty
- The Response to Intervention model
- Using data to identify and support struggling readers
- The role of phonological and phonemic awareness
- Conducting phonological and phonemic awareness intervention
- Designing a data driven reading support program
- Cognitive load theory and how to use this to support students
- Structure of an intervention session including teaching script
- Working with parents (including scripts for different scenarios)
- Supporting students through online platforms
Why do a Teach Along?
– Value for money – $79 for 6 hours of content.
– Ongoing Support for 6 weeks
– Information presented in manageable chunks allowing you to learn a little and then teach a little.
– Live session hours are outside of school so there is no need to take a day out of the classroom
– All sessions are recorded enabling you to re-watch them at any time